What are the requirements to become a host family?
Make sure you fulfill the requirements to become a host family in Australia before you start looking for an Au Pair.
Please do not transfer money to the Au Pair before its arrival!
If you want to pay a share of the travel costs, arrange an installment payment with the Au Pair, starting after the Au Pair’s arrival.
Requirements for host families in Australia:
- you have to be an Australien citizen or a legal permanent resident
- you speak english fluently
- You have at least one under-age child
- you are fluent in spoken English
- the Au Pair is not allowed to work more than 35 hours per week
- you can provide the au pair a private room
- The Au Pair is not allowed to work more than 35 hours per week
- you will be paying the Au Pair between 150 and 230 AUS $ a week
- The Au Pair will have the right to enroll in a language school to fulfill the educational component requirement e.g. language course
- provide a minimum of two weeks paid vacation for each 6 month exchange term
- Try to include the Au Pair into all family activities
- you have to provide automobile coverage for the au pair
- Have one or both parents remain home during the first couple of days after the Au Pair’s arrival to get used to the duties
- sign a contract which outlines for example all child care responsibilites, the time off, vacation, pocket money