How to get a Working Holiday Visa

Your Au Pair will need a Working Holiday Visa no matter where she comes from. Please check if she needs to apply for the Working Holiday Visa subclass 417 or the Working Holiday Visa subclass 462!

The temporary visa is created for young people (18-30 years old) who want to holiday and work in Australia for up to one year. It should encourage cultural exchange between Australia and different foreign nations.

➪ Can my Au Pair apply for the Working Holiday Visa 417?

Yes, if she comes from a country that is allowed to apply for a visa:

    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Repubic of Cyprus
    • Denmark
    • Estonia
    • Finland
    • France
    • Germany
    • Hong Kong
    • Republic of Ireland
    • Italy
    • Japan
    • Republic of Korea

    • Malta
    • Netherlands
    • Norway
    • Sweden
    • Taiwan
    • United Kingdom

If her country is not mentioned click here.


What are the requirements to apply for the Visa?

Requirements for the Working Holiday Visa

  1. your Au Pair is at least 18 but not yet 31 years old
  2. your Au Pair does not have a dependent child accompanying her at any time during her stay in Australia
  3. Your Au Pair has a passport from an eligible country
  4. Your Au Pair never applied for a Working Holiday visa (subclass 462) before
  5. Your Au Pair has enough money to cover her stay (around AUD 5000)
  6. Your Au Pair has to meet Australia’s health requirements (
  7. Your Au Pair has to meet Australia’s character requirements (
  8. No outstanding debts to the Australian Government
  9. Your Au Pair might be able to apply online (
    If she cannot apply online she can lodge a paper application form (
  10. If this is her first Working Holiday Visa, she has to be outside Australia when she applies for it
What can my Au Pair do with the visa?

This visa allows your Au Pair to:


  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months
  • work in Australia for up to six months with each employer
  • study for up to four months
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid
Visa costs

The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417 and subclass 462) costs about 420 AUD, but your Au Pair needs to check on a regular basis if this is still the correct price. You and your Au Pair also may have to pay for other expanses such as the costs for health assessments, police certificates or any other certificates or tests.

Here you can find a price estimator:

How does the payment work?

Information on a Second Working Holiday Visa

To apply for a second Working Holiday (Temporary) visa (subclass 417), your Au pair must..

  • …have complied with all the conditions on heer first Working Holiday Visa
  • …not have held more than one previous Working Holiday Visa
  • …have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia whilst being in Australia with her first Working Holiday Visa.

If she already is in Australia and wishes to stay longer, she should apply for a second Working Holiday Visa before her first Working Holiday Visa expires.

Document checklist

Please provide documents to support your application process. You can find a checklist here to make sure the application is complete.

Visa decision

If the visa is granted they will let you know:

If the visa is not granted they will let you know:

  • why the visa was refused
  • your review rights
  • the time limit for lodging an appeal
Extend her stay

The Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) allows your Au Pair to stay for up to 12 months in Australia. She can only apply for an extension if her visa is not granted with a “no further stay” condition. Visa holders without this condition can apply for a second Working Holiday visa!